Sunday, October 6, 2013

Grand Theft Auto Online Diary - Day 3

I did it, I finally got through all the stupid collection side missions in single-player mode. I knew I would obsess over those, but I finished them. Except for that stunt jump one, and the other trick ones, those are just ridiculous.



I redid my character. I made a lady character this time, thinking it would she would be less awful to look at than a guy character. I had to work hard to make her not look hideous, especially with John Marston as her father.

There was an update, and it must have done something, because I was able to get in. I finally participated in the race with Lamar, which I won. I think people were supposed to participate in it though. After I finished the game freaked out, moved the camera to a bunch of partially loaded areas around Los Santos, and dropped me back at the winning cutscene but other people were there this time.

I got to finally drive around. I drove the three other people who appeared around me to the next mission which immediately appeared on my map after the race. I just assumed they were on the same mission, but I had no way of knowing.

The mission was to steal a bag of drugs from these NPCs and deliver to somewhere. When we got there the NPCs started shooting at us. Me and some other guy ducked behind cover and started shooting the NPCs. Another guy ran in, grabbed the drugs, ran out, and drove off with the car, leaving us stuck fighting off the NPCs. He got to the drop off point and was the one shown in the cutscene. I don't know if he got anything more for delivering it.

If this is what the entire game is like I would enjoy it immensely. I liked the idea of getting a group of people together and working as a team to complete a mission using gameplay that can only be found in a game like this. But that one guy running off was bullshit, they need to make sure that people have to work together as a team and not screw each other over.

Next I was told on my own to get a new outfit and steal a car, which got fitted with a some sort of device that made i mine. I noticed while I was driving around that there were far less cars driving around than in single-player. Along the minimap border there were white dots representing other players, they never seemed to get near me. Periodically the screen would say someone killed someone else while I drove around a ghost town. Meanwhile the game kept flashing notes about menus and options, I didn't catch most of them.

I did one more mission before I stopped. Another character called me up and told me to go to a place. Another one of those circles was at my destination. When I stepped in the circle the game told me it was a type of match, I can't remember what it was called, where we broke up into teams and tried to kill each other and we each had only one life. I did not know if everybody who stepped into that circle got that type of match the first time.

My team consisted of me and one other guy versus five people. I made it a couple of steps before getting run over. I did not want to quit so I had to spend five minutes watching my teammate climb to a roof and pick off our opponents with a pistol, a pretty amazing thing to watch. iInce he won I still got experience points and leveled up.

This match seemed like a pretty decent idea in theory, but it brought to mind a problem I have with online multiplayer: people who play too much and know everything that get matched up with newbs. I was lucky to have one on my side, but it is discouraging to think that I could enter a match with people who could I could not stand a chance in Hell against.

I'll try more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment